Tuesday, April 10, 2007

I have it working

It has been a few days since my last post. I have been away at the LTC convention in Phoenix. It was wonderful and exhausting and exhilarating and completely off topic :)

I have figured out a few things and am getting to the point where I actually like the WD My Book World. I am still very disappointed with the transfer rate bit figure I can live with it.

Here are some of the things that I have learned.

First and foremost is that I do not have to rely on Mionet. It turns out that there is a web based administrative site hosted on the My Book World. On it you can define public shares and those shares are available as open Windows shares on the network. No Mionet required. This is very good!

I use a D-Link DSM-520 media server to access files on the My Book World. By making my "Videos" directory public I can access it easily through the Media Server software or externally on my laptop without having to sign into Mionet.

On the other hand, though, the Mionet software is actually pretty handy. I can create directories that are secured. Now, I don't have a lot of stuff that falls into this category but if I did I would create directories on my "K:" drive. These would only be available to Me because I am the only one that knows the password. Not a bad feature. I may, at some point opt in for the premium support from Mionet but for now I am happy with the basics.

More valuable, for me, than securing the data is the ability to access it from anywhere. I can not see myself listening to tunes or watching movies from the net. It guess it is possible but I really can't see myself doing it. I can envision there being some files , though, that I might want access to from anywhere. I don't know what these files might be yet but I am sure they exist :)

No comments: