Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Transfer Rates

I decided to go to the source and see what Western Digital themselves say about the transfer rates I was experiencing. Below is a transcript of that request. It appears that 3.5Mbytes per second is the best I can expect. The GB NIC in the device is for marketing, not for faster transfer.


Subject
Transfer Rate for the WD My Book World
Discussion Thread
Response (Jeremy H.)04/10/2007 06:18 PM
Dear Poet,

Thank you for contacting Western Digital Customer Service and Support.

Your transfer speeds are typical for the MyBook World. Most of our customers do not see transfer speeds beyond 3MBps to or from the drive.

Sincerely,
Jeremy H.
Western Digital Service and Support
http://support.wdc.com
Customer (Poet)
04/08/2007 09:49 PM
I have placed the My Book World II disk and the serving computer on a 1GB switch to isolate them from any other network traffic. The PC has a 100Mbit NIC so I recognize that 100Mbit is the max I could expect for transferring data to the WD My Book. However, try as I might, I can not achieve speeds that exceed 3.5Mbyte/second. This is only 35% of a 100Mbit connection.

Are there settings that can be altered or configurations changed to raise this limit or is this the maximum rate at which the WD My Book World can accept data?


No comments: