Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Throughput

I am starting to warm up to the My Book World II. I am even starting to think my earlier desires to drop-kick it back to Best Buy were possibly a little premature. The discovery of the ability to communicate with the device over a regular Windows share has improved my opinion greatly as it is now 100% stable.

I still have the issue of throughput, though. It is either the device or the NIC. I believe I have ruled out everything else.

  • HDD -> My Book World = 35Mbits/sec
  • HDD -> My Book World + reading from My Book World = 35Mbits/sec
  • HDD -> My Book World + HDD2 -> My Book World = 35Mbits/sec
  • HDD -> My Book World + HDD2 -> My Book World + DVD -> My Book World = 35Mbits/sec
  • All of the above and then I go and download a very large file from the internet. I see that I am downloading at ~900KB/s or .9MB or 9Mbits/sec (I think my math is roughly right). Network is clearly not saturated and I see utilization jump from 35% t 45%. This is consistent.
The 35Mbits/sec appears to be a hard limit right now. I don't think the choke is at the NIC, Switch or source device. I think it is the My Book World II. I will continue to poke at it to see if I can raise that rate.

No comments: